Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Bottomline's Race for a Cause 5k Recap! (Just three weeks late!)


Wow, September was a fun, but super busy month! I kept meaning to write a recap of this race, but hadn't been able to do so until just now!  (18 days later.)
  September 12th was the 'Bottomline Race for a Cause 5k' - I did this race last year (you can read the write-up here!)

  I love that the 5k is held where I work, and more than that, I love that the proceeds go towards a local charity.  This year, the proceeds went towards Families First.   The course is fairly flat, with the exception of a steady slight uphill at mile 2.

  Going into the race, I wasn't sure what to expect- I had been doing some speed work, but nothing consistent.  Last year, I had run the course in 22:50, I was really hoping to be close or below this number, but wasn't going to be too hard on myself if I was slower than this because of the heat, and for not being in the middle of marathon training.
   The morning of the race, Neil and I met Nicole, Karla and Lenny at Bottomline.  My parents met up with us to watch Max. I didn't get to warm-up very much at all, I think I did maybe a quarter of a mile!
   We lined up to run, and were off by 9:07.  I forgot to start my Garmin, and didn't realize my error until around 1/2 mile into the run.  Up ahead, I could see Karla as the first place woman, Nicole in second and me in third! Visions of finishing 3rd next to two of my good friends filled my head until a girl blew by me and I became the 4th woman.  I could still see the three of them, but there was no way I could speed up and maintain a consistent pace for the rest of the race.
 By the second mile, and after making it up the slight hill,  I was really tired and started wondering why I ever do 5ks!  To me, they feel harder than any other type of run or race! My lungs were burning, and I felt super overheated.   By the time I got to the 3rd mile, I knew I could push it as much as possible for the last 10th of a mile and then I would be done!  When I turned the corner into the BT parking lot, I saw that the clock had just turned 22:20 minutes- I knew I was going to PR! I ran as fast as I could for the last little stretch, and came through in exactly 22:40! A 10 second PR!
   Karla won for overall women, Nicole was the 3rd woman and I was the 4th woman!  Karla got to go home with a brand new FitBit!
 
Anyways, next time I write I will catch up on Reach the Beach!!!
 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Nike Roshe Run Shoe is designed with a cushy midsole and premium upper for running-inspired comfort and athletic style for everyday wear.
    Nike Roshe Run Mesh Womens London cloth red
    Nike Roshe Run Mesh Womens London floral pink
    Nike Roshe Run Mesh Womens London flower art mei red Shoes
    http://www.sportshoestyle.com

    ReplyDelete